Business owners often tell us they are 'chained to their business' to express the feeling of being overwhelmed, consumed, or trapped by the demands of their business.
We understand this feeling to be a sense of being tied down, unable to break free or take time off without consequences to the business.
There are several ways business owners may express this feeling:
“I’m stuck in the day-to-day operations of my business.”
“I can’t seem to escape the constant demands of running my business.”
“I feel like I’m always on call and can never truly step away from my business.”
“I’m unable to take holidays or enjoy personal time because my business requires my constant attention.”
What are the options if you are feeling like this:
1. Delegate and empower your team: by building a strong team and delegating responsibilities, business owners can free themselves from micromanagement and distribute the workload.
2. Implement systems and processes: streamline operations and implement efficient systems will help you reduce the time and effort required to manage the business.
3. Seek outside support: engaging in business coaching, consulting services, or mentoring can provide valuable insights and guidance to navigate challenges and enhance business efficiency and accountability.
4. Prioritise your personal time and self-care: it’s crucial for business owners to recognise the importance of time off. Setting boundaries, taking regular breaks and cultivating hobbies can help maintain a healthy work-life balance.
5. Automate: utilising technology and tools can reduce manual work, free up time for more strategic tasks and allowing business owners to focus on their own and their business growth and development.
Michael loves the company of family, friends, work mates and clients. Weekends are spent with family — watching his boys play sport and enjoying life. He’s played table tennis and cricket at the top level locally, and these days spends plenty of time on a bike and at the gym.
Michael works as a business coach for our clients, as well as growing our business in the SME advisor sector.