Asking for help is a sign of strength, not weakness. Please don’t hesitate to reach out to others when you need assistance or support. Do you struggle asking for help?
At the heart of the issue of our struggle to ask for help, is our desire to maintain an image of competence and self-sufficiency. We often believe that we should be able to handle everything on our own. This can stem from a fear of being judged or evaluated negatively, or a belief that we need to prove ourselves to others.
Sometimes we struggle on with a task as we may feel embarrassed or ashamed to ask for assistance or worry that we will be seen as incompetent.
Please try shifting your perspective and recognise that asking for help is a sign of strength and self-awareness and that you may achieve your goals more effectively.
Practice asking for help using the following as prompts:
- I am struggling with this task, could you please give me some guidance?
- I am feeling overwhelmed with my workload, could you please help me prioritise my tasks?
- I am not sure how to approach this project, could you please share your expertise with me?
- I am having difficulty understanding this concept, could you please explain it to me in simpler terms?
- I am having technical issues, could you please assist me with troubleshooting?
- I am not feeling confident in my ability to complete this task, could you please review my work to date and provide feedback?
- I am short on time, could you please help me with this task to meet the deadline?
- I am not sure how to navigate this process, could you please walk me through it?
Let’s chat about your plans for asking for help, anytime.